Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:12:13

twotails
Administrator

Electrical Problems

Phil & Chris Ricketts
Sep 11, 2009 - 12:31AM
Electrical Problems

The Wiring in the engine compartment of Soyakaze is sadly in poor condition and is having intermitent faults. Does anyone have a copy of the circuit diagrams for the old dog please. We would be happy to cover any costs and make a donation.

Thanks - Phil & Chris

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Philip Ellis
Sep 12, 2009 - 9:53PM
Re: Electrical Problems

Hi,
Could you expand on the nature of the intermitent faults that are occurring.

The engine bay wiring is very basic albeit confusing.
I did look at Soyakase some three years ago and at that time the wiring looked tidier than some others that i had looked at however the gear is getting very long in the tooth and the pvc insulation does start to become less flexible than when first installed.
I do have some where the a basic Seadog diagram but it is is very basic I will look it out.
Please firstly expand on the problem and will try to help.

Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada ex Natuna
Email 
Phil & Chris Ricketts
Sep 12, 2009 - 10:18PM

Thanks for your message.

The problem is basically a very low charge rate.When the voltage on the is measured with the engine running I am getting just less than 13 Volts (on both batteries) and would expect to get over 14.5V. Also the ammeter is showing a very low charge rate of less that 5 Amps (difficult to see accurately on a 60-0-60 meter.
The voltage does not rise as engine revs rise however after 1200 RPM the ammeter needle flicks up to 20amps and down to zero every few seconds.

All connections are good, the pvc wire insulation is stiff but I can not see and shorts, (and the drive belt is tight)

Not sure if it is simply an altenator problem or if the altenator charge is being modified by any of the other bits of kit are upseting the altenator regulator output.

I plan to do a rewire job in the next few weeks but would like to ensure that the system is wired as designed before I throw out the altenator.

Regards - Phil

Email 
Philip Ellis
Sep 14, 2009 - 12:11AM

Hi Phil,

Your system is fairly original lucas kit, with a 4TR regulator.
To check that the alternator is ok, firstly ( with the engine running and being careful) test to see (preferably with 12v test lamp) that the + terminal on the 4TR has permanent 12v, if it has, then place a short between the - term and the F term this should drive the alternator to full output probably around 35amps.
I have the lucas test diagram if you want i can email a pdf.
There are other relays in circuit and some times an oil pressure switch was incorporated too, this was to only allow the alternator to load up once the engine had started.
If the alternator is ok then once you know which bit does what it is fairly easy to isolate the problem.

Hope that helps

Philip

Email 
Phil & Chris Ricketts
Sep 14, 2009 - 10:50PM

Hi thanks for advice, the altenator is at fault the brushes are in a bad state. I have now removed it and it is being reconditioned.

Still trying to understand the other relays etc in the circuit however so that we can rewire.

Regards - Phil

Email 
Phil & Chris Ricketts
Sep 15, 2009 - 9:48PM

Further development -

The altenator has now been rebuilt by an excelent guy with a workshop in Christchurch (same day service). However the 4TR regulor is also gone.

There are 2 types of 4TR regulator, a 3 wire one and a 4 wire, I can not get out to Soyakaze for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me which version is fitted to the Seadog ?

Thanks - Phil & Chris
Email 
Seamus McGloughlin
Sep 16, 2009 - 11:33AM

Phil & Chris
I have a wiring diagram for Cushag which I created in 1982. My scanner is broken and I cannot scan it, I will however make a copy and post it to you if you send me your address.
The 4tr on Cushag was a 3 wire. I thought we had a spare you could have had as we re-engined the boat in 2001 but alas after searching the boat this morning I could not find it. I expect they are still available from Lucas.

Regards

Séamus

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Cushag of Mann (Dun Laoghaire)
Email 
Philip Ellis
Sep 16, 2009 - 2:20PM

Hi Phil,

I have a photo of your installtion and your 4TR is a 3 terminal device.

I have emailed the photo you along with a pdf of the old lucas test manual for that era.

I have rewired a couple of Seadogs and some other boats and I do favour the inclusion of and Adverc charge regulator particulary as this sits along side the standard installion.

Philip

Board footer