Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:42:21

twotails
Administrator

Calorifier

Alan and Debbie
Mar 13, 2011 - 9:46PM
Calorifier

Just spent the weekend scraping off 12 layers of antifouling back to the epoxy coating. Almost ready for new antifouling and we are in racing trim !!!!!!
Another job though! Despite draining it down our trusty Paloma gas geyser has succumbed to the winter frost. I could repair the burst but have decided to reduce our dependance on gas in favour of a calorifier. I can just squeeze a 22 litre tank in the corner locker next to the galley sink. We never use it day to day because it is a tangle of gas and water pipes and the water pump and it all needs tidying anyway. Question is -- we still have the Perkins 107 where do I tap into the water jacket to heat the calorifier circuit?? Anyone done it??

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Eric Richardson
Mar 16, 2011 - 9:22PM
Re: Calorifier

Hi Alan & Debbie

Do you a full response tomorrow, it is easy to do.

Eric
Eric Richardson
Mar 17, 2011 - 11:54AM

Hi Alan & Debbie
The Perkins engine can easily be used to supply the necessary hot water. The hot water outlet is taken from a plug in the cylinder head situated at the side of the thermostat housing, (1/2"bsp I think) this should be led to the top inlet of the heater coil in the calorifier. The return can be taken to two positions. The best place is to plumb it into the feed from the cylinder block outlet hose which is sited on the Starbrd side of the engine just below the dynamo/alternator. On some engines the outlet hose feeds into a copper pipe and this can be cut and a Yorkshire tee piece fitted which the return hose from the calorifier can be slid onto. ( I say yorkshire because the raised ring helps to retain and seal the hose).
The alternative site is to an outlet plug fitted to the cylinder block just above the starter motor. This is often where the engine drain cock is fitted, if so it would need a tee piece fitting.
I prefer to use the first place I have mentioned as it gets a good flow being directly adjacent to the water pump.
When first coupled up care needs to be taken to ensure you do not have an air lock. It can pay to introduce a bleed valve at a high point on the calorifier feed hose. If possible keep all hoses below the cooling water level, this then solves the air lock problems.
Eric
Eric Richardson
Mar 17, 2011 - 12:07PM

I forgot to mention that I made the Calorifier on Taliesin from 316 SS. It was fitted immediately aft of the starbrd fuel tank, to the same shape as the fuel tank and well lagged by wrapping it in domestic hot water cylinder jackets. By siting it there it did not take up any more useful space, it worked very well, I think it held about 3 gallons. I could do you a sketch if you wanted, but it would be without dimensions as you would have to measure what room you have there. I also fed the water supply from a foot pump situated at the side of the present galley foot pump. Simply fitting an identical water fawcet the other side of the sink.
Hot water lasts a lot longer manualy pumped!!!
Hope that helps.
Eric
Graham
Mar 17, 2011 - 4:02PM

Hi Both, and Eric
Just wanted to mention that Dougal also has the calorifier aft of the starboard fuel tank. Not having the engineering skills of Eric ours was bought ready-made so is a bit like a beer barrel in shape. We fitted it using hardwood and plywood bracing and it has stayed in place so far (about 11 years).
Only problem is that it makes access to the cockpit drain seacock a bit of a challenge. I estimate capacity at about 4 gallons and it can be heated by the engine, an immersion heater (when on shore power) or by the diesel boiler (in the rod locker in the aft cabin).
wishing you all a great season.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
John Lansdell
Mar 19, 2011 - 10:10AM

On Twotails the plumbing for the calorifier is so arranged as to use the existing foot pump and supply spout alongside the galley basin, with a changeover cock between them to allow either cold or hot water to be supplied. If anyone wants to know any more, I could email them a crude diagram of the system.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Mar 21, 2011 - 1:40PM

Thanks all

we are back on board (on the hard) this weekend to finish off the scraping and have an insurance survey Plan to have a closer look at the engine take off's and see if I can fit the 22l unit we want aft of the fuel tank. Keep you posted

Board footer