Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:40:40

twotails
Administrator

Borg-Warner Gearbox -3

John Lansdell
May 31, 2010 - 9:33PM
Borg-Warner Velvet Drive Gearbox

This was the gearbox fitted to the majority of the Freeman built 'dogs.

Does anyone have a copy of a manual for this unit, preferably with an exploded view of the unit and an associated list of part numbers?

If not, has anyone an idea we might get one from?

Immediate reason is we have a member with transmission oil leaking into the bell housing between engine and gearbox.

Long term we ought to have one anyway.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Phil and Chris
May 31, 2010 - 10:43PM
Re: Borg-Warner Velvet Drive Gearbox

Hi

I have just emailed you with a .pdf copy of the service manual

Hope this helps

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Graham
Jun 1, 2010 - 8:37AM

Not sure which one has been emailed but for anyone interested there is an installation manual in pdf form that can be downloaded from here
http://www.kp44.org/ftp/VelvetDriveInst … Manual.pdf
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Philip Ellis
Jun 1, 2010 - 9:58AM

Hi John,

You are probably well aware that the seals,gaskets etc, and other spares are available from ASAP supplies.
I replaced both forward and aft seals last year. If you do the rear seal you will need to make a tool to fit the output drive so that this can be held from rotating whilst the output shaft nut is loosened and the again when it is torqued up, 100/150lbin.
The socket must be a thin wall AF socket,I borrowed a "Snap-On" which did the job.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
Email 
John Lansdell
Jun 1, 2010 - 10:35PM

A big thank you to Phil Ricketts and Graham Matthews for their prompt and helpful information. I will be keeping a copy of the Service Manual in the Association files.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
John Lansdell
Jun 2, 2010 - 8:40AM

Apologies to Philip Ellis for overlooking his practical advice on replacing gearbox seals, the tools needed, and identifying a source of spare parts. Thank you for that Philip. I was concentrating on finding the part numbers to pass on to the owner with the problem.

Board footer