Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:09:47

twotails
Administrator

Batteries

John Lowe
Apr 10, 2013 - 6:34PM
Batteries

Just found that Tarry's domestic batteries are dead. Just wondering though - there are two domestic and one engine. Am I better off with one domestic battery. Assuming I am having browsed the internet, but has anybody had any experience on this one? Thanks in advance.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Tarry
Email 
Graham
Apr 10, 2013 - 6:49PM
Re: Batteries

Hi John,
The answer really depends on how much you use your domestic power. On Dougal we have 2 of the largest domestic batteries we could squeeze in (160Ah each), plus the engine start battery. This is because we often spend several days at a stretch anchored without running the engine but need the fridge, lights, computer to remain usable (we have a large solar panel too). All of our lights are now LED but I would not even consider reducing my capacity. If you only visit marinas and use mains hook-up it would be a different story.
If you do decide on 2 leisure batteries they must be identical, and ideally should be purchased at the same time. One that is past it's best can drag down a new one otherwise. I recommend Barden Batteries, bought our last 2 sets from them
hope all this helps
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
John Lansdell
Apr 11, 2013 - 9:41AM

On Twotails we have 4!! batteries of identical physical size and weight, the largest I can lift out, 100 Ah.
They are one starter battery (forward portside by engine), one leisure battery (aft of starter battery), and two leisure batteries paralleled together (on a shelf over the gearbox). They are controlled by individual on/off switches, so that in an emergency all 4 can be grouped together, or individually charged when the engine is running, or from shore power.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
John Lowe
Apr 11, 2013 - 10:33PM

Hello John, thanks for replying. Seems to me that when I have done my first season I am almost certainly going to have to beef up the batteries. Really not sure how Tarry's configuration works, so once I have that and done my research hopefully can make some intelligent changes.

Email 
Graham
Apr 12, 2013 - 6:43AM

Our domestic batteries are paralleled and located on the starboard side of the engine compartment. The engine start is across the gearbox. Charging is done by a split charge system from the engine, plus the solar panel, plus a fixed mains charger.
Graham

Email 
John Lowe
Apr 15, 2013 - 8:28PM

Does the split charge system mean that you can charge both domestic and engine batteries at the same time, or alternatively choose which batteries to charge? I can see all sort of permutations - being able to channel all battery power to start the engine in an emergency, putting charge purely to the engine battery where necessary etc. I guess somewhere there is (arguably) the optimum charging permutation(s). Cheers. John

Email 
Graham
Apr 15, 2013 - 8:41PM

Evening,
Yes all 3 of my charging systems automatically maintain both the domestic and engine start systems. The systems allow charging but do not allow the batteries to discharge into each other I think on TwoTails John manually sets any or all of his batteries to be used or charged. If needed I can switch the domestics so that I can use them to start the engine, but I have never needed to do that as the engine start battery has a very easy life.
hope this helps
Graham

Board footer