Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:08:59

twotails
Administrator

Ballast Coil

Alan and Debbie
Feb 1, 2009 - 6:46PM
Ballast coil

Just come back from a frustrating (and freezing) maintenance weekend on Star Dog. Bought a Mk 5 henderson manual bilge pump as a "straight replacement" for the now obsolete Mk 3 and of course it wasn't. So I am having to reposition and re-plumb it which involved stripping out the lining panels of the pilot berth. Those of you that know me will realise why at one point I was very nearly stuck head first in the trotter box by my shoulders!Still it will be a better job all round when it is finished. The upshot was that I didn't have time to trace the wiring of my mystery ballast coil that I mentioned to some at the Elstead. I have uploaded three very poor pics (taken on my phone)onto the technical pic section and would be grateful if anyone can identify its purpose. It lives on the starbord side of the midships enginebay bulkhead alongside the starter solonoid and a fuse block. It is just like and old car ignition coil except that it has three heavy duty spade connectors on top and no HT lead outlet. The only marking on it says "12v Neg earth" When we are next down I intend to trace the relevant cables to try and understand what it does.

Cheers

Alan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Graham Matthews
Feb 1, 2009 - 7:43PM
Re: Ballast coil

Hi Allan,
You have my sympathy, we have all been there!
I have made those picture 'live' now so they can bee seen by all. Sorry didn't do it earlier but for some reason I didn't get the 'prompt' email. If you or anyone else suspect it has happened again please email me direct.
I can only think that your mystery electrical item must be to do with battery charging, either an intelligent alternator controller or a splitter or both. Hopefully the wiring will give the clue. Maybe any part numbers or other markings? Sometimes a mirror (I carry a plastic one) can help.
regards
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Philip Ellis
Feb 1, 2009 - 8:14PM

Hi Alan,
Lucas used to package their split charge diodes in that style, the "12v neg earth" is to differentiate from the 12v pos earth version.It is important when used on steel chassis as in road vehicles. The new types are isolated and its not really an issue any more. It all looks very original.The current rating were somewhat less that the newer version so if you change up your alternator output you will have to uprate this and the wiring too! Especially if you fit a smart charge regulator.

Incidently I too replaced the old Mk111 with a MkV and it was awkward as the fixings that as you say go through to the stbd aft cabin locker are trying to say the least.
I think I hav a Photo of the finished installation if I can find it I will try Grahams new facility.

Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada
Mark
Feb 1, 2009 - 8:31PM

I've got a coil and a fuseblock in the same location. Always assumed it to be the splitting diode because of the way it is wired. As for the fuses (three of them) they are on my list to identify. Because of their position I have always thought they would be something to do with the aft cabin circuit.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Salia
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Feb 3, 2009 - 9:19AM

Thanks all

Apparently my "ballast" as a split charge relay as correctly identified by Phillip. I work in Birmingham and one of our engineers is familiar with old Lucas products. It transpires that Lucas used to package a lot of their equipment in that particular casing hence the similarity to an ignition coil. They are apparently prone to overheating particularly if the alternator is upgraded, (I have just tested mine and found that it is 70A output, subject of another post). I have identified a Sterling replacement for the splitter at around £50 and will upgrade when funds allow. It's nice to know what it does though. ----- Now for those other mysterious black plastic boxes!!!!

Regards

Alan

Board footer