Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 17:03:27

twotails
Administrator

Anchor Chain

Jan K
Jan 14, 2009 - 11:09AM
Anchor Chain

I have a Simpson-Lawrence Hyspeed manual windlass and would like to replace the old worn anchor chain. The boat was built in 1970. I know that the chain has to match the gipsy on the windlass but my question is more general in nature. What size of chain is typcially used on the Seadog? Is it 8mm (5/16") or is it 10mm (3/8")?

I currently have what looks like 8mm chain but I am being told that the gipsy was originally designed for 10mm chain. Not surprisingly the gipsy is worn!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gina
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jan 14, 2009 - 4:27PM
Re: Anchor Chain

Hi Jan
I may not be much help on this one, its 4 years since I parted with Taliesin but I seem to remember that it was on 5/16" chain. The new owner could tell you. I know that some of the anchor winch manufacturers sell all the different sizes of gypsies, but what you need to be aware of is that not all chain manufacturers calibrate their chain to the same dimensions even though they describe them as short link chain. I should talk to them, they may ask you to send the Gypsy to check.
Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Audrey and John Lansdell
Jan 14, 2009 - 8:51PM
Re: Anchor Chain

Hi! We have the same anchor winch, and I suspect the same (most probaably original) chain. When we bought the boat the chain was hardly worn, but was rusty, so it was re-galvanized and that is what we use now. Come over and measure ours, and we can have a cuppa out of the weather, but only after the Elstead meet is over.

Rgds, John L

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Jan K
Jan 16, 2009 - 6:34PM
Re: Re: Anchor Chain

Thanks John, sounds like a good idea. I will contact you later in the month.

Jan K

Board footer