Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 16:56:14

twotails
Administrator

Aft Cabin Bulkhead

Duncan Macdonald
Nov 30, 2009 - 9:17PM
After Cabin Bulkhead

This is a well-aired subject but would be grateful for ideas to prevent water penetration into after cabin bulkhead via the mizzen tabernacle &/or hatchway. I think GL has already been worked on in this area but not entirely successfully.

GL now based at Connel near Oban; currently wintering ashore at Ardoran Boatyard on L Feochan.

Pleased to see the web-site back again - had me worried for a while!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
Email 
John Lansdell
Dec 1, 2009 - 5:25PM
Re: After Cabin Bulkhead

Being pre number 50 Twotails has wooden hatches.
I was suspicious of the sealing of the wooden slides to the deck behind the mizzen, so took them off and cleaned them up. In so doing I found the 2 holes or cut-outs on the underside, which are supposed to drain the water away from the gulley were blocked. In addition it became obvious that the deck on which they are set slopes forward. This is OK for the stbd side drain, but on the port side it leaves a small wet area between the side of the wooden slide and the mizzen tabernacle, due to the domed shape of the deck. Like Eric, I found the mizzen attachment bolts were rusted, but more importantly found they had little or no sealant to stop water seeping back into the aftercabin. This was fixed, as was the edge of the mizzen tabernacle to grp surface, with copious sealant. Being suspicious by nature, I noticed that when you get rain from aft, the water comes down the sail track however well you fit the cockpit cover. To fix this use Bluetack squeezed into it. If you fail there, the water then drips down onto the cover over the airvent on the after side of the tabernacle, which can add to the puddle alongside the hatch slide. A crude fix is to make a little dam of Bluetack around the lip of the cover with a small plastic pipe to take the water to starboard. It does not look good, it does work, and it is staying there until I can think of something better.
I would not claim to have solved the problem, but hope this may give you some ideas.
One other trick, thank you Emra! is to take halyard and topping lift to the guard rail when putting the after section of the cockpit cover on so as to get a better seal at the mast.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Duncan Macdonald
Dec 3, 2009 - 9:18PM

Thanks John & Eric

Found 4 tabernacle bolts heavily corroded & ply doubling piece on b'head softened in way of bolts. Also have section of ply below doubler soft in places. All to be replaced; could be worse!

Rgds, Duncan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
Email 
martin waterman
Dec 6, 2009 - 4:43PM

Interested in your comments about this as have just been 'damming' up the channels under the after hatch to stop (hopefully) the water which lies in there (boat is ashore) getting to the two small tube drains. My original foam backed vynil after cabin bulkhead covering is coming away in places, I have previously stuck it back but it leaves lumpy bits and I am phsycing myself up to stripping it off to see what demons actually lie under there and make it more presentable. I sometimes try knocking against the bulkhead like an old shipwright or railway wheel tapper to try and judge any soft spots, more in hope than result. The mizzen rigging has not needed re-tightening so I am living in hope that the mast isn't suddenly going to descend into the bilge or worse. I know Bob of Seafleur and his son, re-inforced the tabernacle to the engine beds at one stage. Definitely sounds like the fit and forget ultimate solution to me. Wish I had time and energy to do that!!! Martin.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kittijay
E Richardson
Dec 7, 2009 - 12:49PM

Hi Martin

The main purpose of the bolts is to hold the tabernacle in place and spread the load. The rest of the vertical load should be carried through the floor and into the bulhead via the two gussets glassed from the bulkhead to the cockpit floor. When I did Taliesin the Tabernacle was just starting to part from the bulkhead at the top and would have collapsed forward into the cockpit.
After replacing the aft bulkhead ply we left it uncovered and varnished it so that it could be readily examined. I think it looked better that way.

Eric

Board footer