Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:18:01

twotails
Administrator

Winterisation

Well its that time of the year again, we lift out on the 29th of this month. A lot has been said about winterisation (dont know if thats a proper word) in all the mag's, and we all have our own routine and know the do's and dont's. The trouble is a new problem is on the horizon which I believe our sec John is up to date on, that is the problem with the new diesel fuel and all its bio addatives. It seems to me that the minimum we can get away with is to dose out tanks with one of the products currently available. I use Fuel Set but dont know which is best. Next we should fill the tank right up to the neck of the filler tubes to leave minimum air space and reduce condensation as the bug thrives on the water/fuel interphase.
Perhaps it would help to drain a bit of fuel out before filling to reduce any water present. Just a suggestion, but it may help next year.
Look forward to seeing you at the Elstead.
Eric
Duncan MacDonald
Oct 23, 2011 - 1:23PM
Re: Winterisation

Hello all

I agree with Eric that this issue should not be ignored.
During winter lay-up 2008/09 I found both tanks contaminated; the worst was the port tank which was completely bocked at the shut-off valve. Both tanks were drained into a plastic container intil seen running clear. Tanks then dosed with Marine 16 (which had a good report in tests) and topped up. Regular dosing with Marine 16 seems to have prevented any further problems.
Rgds,
Duncan MacDonald

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
David Nixon
Oct 27, 2011 - 1:43PM

For those within reach of Cowes, non bio additive fuel is available:

http://www.cowesharbourcommission.co.uk … s?id=26529

Regards,

David

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gina
Email 
Eric Richardson
Nov 2, 2011 - 9:20PM

Hi There

Re the note on diesel fuel, there is a very good article on Fuel and Fuel storage on the RYA Webb site. Its well worth a read.

Board footer