Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:09:57

twotails
Administrator

Wind generator

I have just bought a Rutland 913 wind generator to make us a bit more independant of marinas. The plan is to install it atop the mizzen mast. Has anyone done this / have any tips?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jan 16, 2008 - 7:15PM
Re: Wind generator

Hi Alan & Debbie.
I have not fitted a wind generator to the mizzen, but did fit a radar scanner on Taliesin. I mounted it on the front of the mizzen mast some where about
spreader height. It would not be hard do that and it means that you do not have to struggle reaching onto the top of the mast from a bosuns chair if you need to get at it with the mast up as the bosuns chair easily gets you up to it. It is also well clear of the main sail.
Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Jan 16, 2008 - 7:54PM

Thanks Eric, hope you are well. We pick up the generator mid Feb and have a big maintenance session planned in March when I'll be installing it. I'll let you know how we get on. By the way I keep telling everyone that it's about being independent of marinas but the main battery draw at anchor is the fridge keeping Deb's wine cool!
Email 
anthony george kearney
Jan 17, 2008 - 12:01PM

I thought of the mizzen mast. The problem was how to stop it turning. If we are talking about a verical axis then they supposed to spill excessive wind. That is based on to notion that they remain vertical ! I put both mine over out over the stern on brackets. The problem for both was loss of a clear wind. The vertical axis perfomed better than the conventional propellor.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Mohican owner
Email 
anthony george kearney
Jan 17, 2008 - 12:05PM

On wine. Changing to Red will resolve your major power consumption! tony

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Mohican owner
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Jan 17, 2008 - 7:42PM

Tony

Thanks for the info. The controller I have ordered has a facilty to stop the generator remotely so I think I'll try the mizzen to start with. I'll let you know how it goes.
On wine - I drink red and much prefer ladies who prefer white, thus I never have to share a bottle and Deb and I have the perfect relationship! (apart from amperage consumption).

Regards

Alan
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jan 19, 2008 - 2:13PM

Hi Alan & Debbie

Re my comment on mounting in the cross tree area, one of the ketches that used to moor at lowestoft had the wind genny at that position, mounted in front of the mast and braced back to the cross trees it had ample room to spin in the wind without hitting the mast or getting to close to the main sail.
The bracket was pop riveted to the mast and the bracings clamped round the cross trees.

Eric

Board footer