Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 22:05:34

twotails
Administrator

Why I bought a Seadog.

Just thought I would say "Hi", now that "Perro" is finally back home in Jersey.

I have haJd many years "messing around" in boats and had previously read about Seadogs, but bought one only after having had a long hard think about what sort of boat would suit me. My criteria was:-

a) she had to be easily handled by 1, especially "close quarters" where a bit of muscle can still be used instead of skill!

b) capable of accomadating no more than 2 persons in reasonable comfort for extended periods.

c) had to be centre cockpit (I like being well IN a boat, not perched on the end!) with a usable aft cabin for the "captain" (and crew!, so that the sleeping area could be kept entirely seperate from the living quarters) - ie NOT a Westerly Pentland!!

d) Ketch rigged for ease of sail handling for 1 person.

e) to be capable of making good progress under motor / motorsail and not solely dependent on sails. (so that nearby France can be more easily in reach)

f) be capable of sailing both for fun around the bay (to some degree!) but also for extended passages where time is not a factor. (I view "Perro" as teh nautical equivalent of a Landrover, she ain't going to be quick, but will get their in the end over pretty much anything - the weak link being the driver / skipper).

g) have decent storage

h) have a good chart table

i) have a couple of good sea berths

j) have a deep and well protected cockpit

k) have wheel steering

l) be a lot cheaper than something built in recent years!

m) be built like a brick outhouse (I like a bit of weight under me when it blows a bit!)

n) must have bilge keels, as I like drying moorings (which is fortunate in Jersey!)

o)capable of towing a waterskier!

p) not being full of berths I would never use.

q) having useable side decks, ie designed to be walked on by a grown person, (without wearing crampons!).

r)look like a "Proper boat (ie where the the stern is not twice as wide as amidships, and where the bow is actually "pointy")

s) have a decent sized chain locker which does not require multiple visits from deck to forepeak to topple the chain. (I will admit that I didn't check this out before buying! but it was nice surprise and just goes to show the thought that went into their original design).

t) have a bowsprit (actually "Perro" does not have one, it is something I would love to fit (apart from a bot more sail, it will be nice in a Marina to "frighten" the odd AWB!), but this is somewhat down the list at the moment

u) Have a "proper" double bed (I am planning on doing some - sympathetic! - modifications in the aft cabin.

v) be capable of looking after me (and the crew) well in excess of my abilities.

w) Be different enough so that when coming back from the Pub after a "run ashore" I can easily tell which boat is mine in a Marina

X)She will "pull" lot's of Dolly Birds.

Y)Be old enough so that a few extra bumps and scratches won't breal my heart.

Z) and finally be CAPABLE of heading off into the "sunset" if one day I just decided to get up and go, even if I know in my heart of hearts that I probably never will (mainly cos their are lots of other things I want to do) - but at least the option IS their with "Perro", even if their are of course other boats more suited to very extended living aboard, mainly accomadation wise.

Anyway, I bought her last autumn in England, but one thing and another she stayed in the UK a lot lot longer than I had anticipated. To be honest if I had not bought her in the Autumn and had her sitting waiting for me to get my act together, by last Xmas I would for sure have put off buying a boat for another year. But what's done is done and I am glad she is back and I am no longer "boatless".

The downside is that "Perro" needs a "bit of work" although her previous recent owners (the old gal has been around a bit since 1970!)have done some of the important things (eg new aft bulkhead, new mast support, new fuel tanks, re-seating the window frames etc) albeit their is still plenty left for me to do, especially cosmetically. (at present I have Tea towels for curtains!, no carpet, a toilet door stowed in the aft cabin! and she needs plenty of TLC and revarnishing on her woodwork etc etc.......as well as in due course a couple of rubbing strakes and in a few years new toprails).

I would list everything that she needs / I want to do, but I would get depressed! but she is perfectly useable and I aim to keep her that way whilst getting her sorted over the next couple of years.

Anyway, this post is wayyyyyyyyyyyy longer than I had intended!!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Perro (Spanish for Dog!)
Email 
David
Aug 2, 2006 - 8:56PM
Re: Why I bought a Seadog.

Oh bugger, I can't edit my OP - spelling and punctuation were never my forte!

I was also going to say that I hope to post a few questions over the coming months, if anyone stumbles acrross them please do not feel shy about replying even if my post seems very old (I have the auto notification set up, as well as occassionally popping in)........even if it is only to say "I was wondering about that also!", alternitively just use my E-mail address above.

Cheers

David

Email 
Rudi Kramer
Aug 17, 2006 - 11:59PM
Re: Re: Why I bought a Seadog.

David,

You bought yourself a bombproof sailing-tank.
We made the same step in 1998 and i'm still verry happy with it.
When we bought the boat it was in a terrible shape and sinds then I did a lot of jobs to bring her back in this century.
To get an impression see my webside.

http://members.chello.nl/~r.kramer5/

There is also a picture on the seadog website.

http://www.seadog.co.uk/seadogorg/Modifications.htm

Recently I renewed and "refurnished" the aft-cabin and I managed to extended the berth with 15 cm. 15 cm does not sounds mutch but belief me, it makes a difference.
The pictures are not added to the webside yet, but as soon as I can find the time I wil do that.
For the time being, if you have question, sent me an email.

Kind regards, Rudi

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) ANANTA
Email 
David
Aug 18, 2006 - 8:04PM
Re: Why I bought a Seadog.

Rudi,

Thanks for the response (I was hoping my posts may tempt someone out of the woodwork!)

Great photos, I am pretty sure I had a look at the website before buying "Perro" last year. I was thinking of doing something similar, but I have lots of good intentions that never happen.............

Extending the berth into a double in the aft cabin is on the list also. although someway down it.

At the moment I am just learning my way around her as nothing needs doing right now (just lots of things I would like to do / tidy up) but as I want to keep her as original as possible, whilst updating her I figured on not making any changes (or doing any work!) until the winter when I figure I will have a better idea of what makes sense to do.

One question however which springs to mind is regarding the rudder, I am not sure when yours was built (mine is 1970) but I was wondering why you increased the rudder size? The only "Problem" I have with my rudder is that under power she tends to pull to starboard, as under sail this disapears completely and she is nicely balanced and steers herself I guess this just down to the rudder shape, but is this something you were addressing as well?

Cheers

David

PS I LOVE the bowsprit!!

Email 
rudi kramer
Dec 30, 2006 - 12:15AM
Re: Re: Why I bought a Seadog.

Hi David,

Sorry for the late respons.
The rudder was already extended when I both the boot.
I don't know why it is done.
My boat is build in 1969 but the rudder is rebuild later by it's owner. (homemade)
It does not doe any harm so I leave it this way.

Kind regards, Rudi

Board footer