Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 21:58:29

twotails
Administrator

Voyage Home of EMRA -2

We got out of Dover Harbour via the Ferry entrance after getting radio permission from the Port authorities to exit...it is certainly easier than the entrance via the Prince of Wales W Docks side, as even in moderate seas, there seems to be something like a'race' of choppy water flowing into the marina...The forecast from XCweather was for clear sky's and moderate N NNE winds, but although second part was OK, the first was way of, just sea mist, and an obscured shore line. We had the tidal stream upto the North Foreland, until 10am , then after changing course, for a heading down the Thames Estuary, clearer sky's, and no wind. Some of the buoy's marking the limits of the Margate Sands, have been changed, and should be updated onto older charts, some vessels laying cables in the Swale, entailed a change closer to the Southern shore, a guard ship at the entrance gives radio advice. We arrived at the mouth of Faversham Creek, by 2pm, well before local high water, there are some swinging moorings close by at Harty Ferry, where one can tie up and wait for the creek to fill up. Yachts with a depth over a meter, can really only enter the creek +/- 1 hr HW , which yesterday was 18.00, we made a start at 16.45, and negotiated safely until the entrance to our berth, which with a flood tide, I now find is easier to approach, by making a turn upstream of the berth and coming back against the tide, and then enter by making a right turn into it...we tied up by 17.30. With EMRA, there are now 4 seadogs moored in Oare Creek, and I shall have a chat with the other owners, to see what experience and advice they can give me as to the tactics they use to get in and out of this very tidal and drying out creek...are there any other Seadog Owners who can advise on the best methods to enter and exit similar drying out creeks?

Board footer