Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 21:56:29

twotails
Administrator

Void space below prop shaft

Has anyone reduced the depth of the space below the prop shaft in the after cabin? Glass Lady had inches of thick black oily crud down there which was very unpleasant & messy to dig out & still has a residue to remove. It is nearly impossible to reach but finds included cable ties, several washers, the cam lever for the auto-pilot and a pound coin, all long lost.

Closed cell self-levelling "foam" would be ideal but I don't know if a suitable product exists.

All suggestions welcome.

Duncan MacDonald

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glass Lady
Email 
Graham
Jan 21, 2011 - 9:02PM
Re: Void space below prop shaft

Hi,
Is it possible that Glass Lady has a larger 'void' than most of us?
The space below the prop shaft on Dougal is not enormous and a small hole drains through the bulkhead into the deep bilge in the engine compartment.
It does get a bit mucky down there, mainly due to the stern gland (excess grease seems to end up there)
Any chance of photographs?
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Duncan MacDonald
Jan 22, 2011 - 4:18PM

Hi Graham

Interesting that later boats have a shallower space there.

The space in Glass Lady is, I should think, the same depth as below the engine. Will try a photo next time on the boat but as a deep black hole not sure if it will show anything.

Rgds, Duncan

Graham
Jan 22, 2011 - 5:19PM

Hello again Duncan,
Yes I can confirm that the space on Dougal (number 66) is no more than about 8 inches, quite possibly less, I know that when I drop an allen key I can easily reach it :-)
Not sure how to approach filling it in though.
look forwards to the photos.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Ronnie Walker
Jan 23, 2011 - 12:44AM

Hi,you could part fill it with cold setting resin as used in colvic watson hulls,mixed with iron punchings as ballast,in the 60s & 70s,i don't know where you would find it,as resin has moved on so much,perhaps Scott Bader could tell you,or even ferro cement?All the best.Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Philip Ellis
Jan 25, 2011 - 3:38PM

Hi,
I am No35 and the space below the propshaft is glassed over about 3inche below the shaft and is draining forward toward the bulkhead where a small hole allows any water from the gland to drain into the engine bilge.
However the original glassing over was not well executed in that the glass was not fully wetted out and looked dirty so I cut it out and found the void below was full of water, so I drained it, cleaned it and then reglassed in a new top leaving the void empty and dry.
I couldnt really see any point in filling it in, as this can some times cause more problems than it solves.
It can only be done with the coupling shaft removed and even then its very awkard , I prefabed the lid in grp first then set in place with
body filler before glassing over and the flow coated to finish.
I will upload a before and after photo to the gallery for information.
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada
Duncan MacDonald
Feb 5, 2011 - 2:26PM

Hi

Thanks for all suggestions. Phil's photo before modification is exactly what Glass Lady is like - if it was cleaned up! I have also found gunged up limber hole in bulkhead so after cabin space is common with engine bay sump.

Rgds, Duncan

Board footer