Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 21:03:37

twotails
Administrator

Sale of Kushka - hiccup at the brokers

Hi all
The Seadog i thought was mine might not be after all. I sent the final cheque to the broker last Saturday,but I received a phone call today telling me that there was a slight hiccup. The owner has an outstanding loan on the boat. The Broker has contacted
Lombards (the bank)and said everything will be fine-I should get the Bill of Sale in a week's time. However I feel this won't be.I thought it was illegal to sell a boat with a loan outstanding on it. Can someone please put my mind at rest as I feel a bit gutted!The Broker is well known in the area; surely he wouldn't be leading me down the garden path? I don't know any-thing about Marine Law. Can someone advise.
Kind regards,
Ronnie

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Philip Ellis
Mar 24, 2009 - 11:57PM
Re: hiccup at the brokers

Hi Ronnie,
Thats not the news one wants at this point in the proceedings.
I would be asking the broker to explain the circumstances of this late revelation and confirmation that all your monies are secure in a seperate client account.

However, its sounds as though the broker is making the enquires that he should and has turned up some oustanding HP, albeit a bit late in the day.
It does seem unusual that the vendor had not previously made him aware of the fact.
If you are a member of the RYA then they provide a most helpful and informative legal support service which is available by telephone, and is geared to situation such as this.
Hopefully a satisfactory outcome will prevail.
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
ronald walker
Mar 25, 2009 - 1:25AM
Re: Re: hiccup at the brokers

Hi philip

Thanks for your help it means so much,Iam not a young man and have some health problems though i get there slow but sure this will be my last boat,and was looking forward to the pleasure of it,however things may turn out ok,It's the lack of legal knowledge that's getting to me,I was going to go to the boat this weekend to get the engine running ect.but not sure what to do now.all the best.Ronnie

Email 
Robert Peebles
Mar 27, 2009 - 2:01AM

Hi Ronnie,

Sorry to hear that you've run into a problem at this late stage with purchase of Kushka, but I'm sure it will work out ok. As Philip says, probably shows that the broker is doing his job and that it's just going to take a bit more time to make sure that the mortgage is cleared.

Are you keeping the boat in Scotland? I'm just in the process of buying Jacarah from Ireland and moving her to the Forth. Glass Lady (prototype SeaDog) has over-wintered on the Forth and is moving to the Clyde for the summer. We could just about have a 'muster' sometime.....

Best wishes for your future SeaDogging.

Robert

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) (almost) Jacarah
Email 
ronald walker
Mar 28, 2009 - 1:54AM
Re: Re: hiccup at the brokers

Hi Robert
thanks for your input it helps, it's quite a tense time,the broker says he has the money in a clients account and to sit tight as things should work out ok.Glad to here your moving your boat to the clyde,terific cruising oportunities here,would like to meet up with you.What is a "glass seadog"sounds interesting.I plan to berth kuska in tarbert harbour pontoon berth a lot cheaper than troon,however if i do get her i will keep her on the hard at rhu for a month,iv'e still to run the engine and other small jobs keep me informed about your move.My email is"grace-walker@sky.com. Kind Regards Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kuska
Email 
Philip Ellis
Mar 28, 2009 - 11:02AM
Re: Re: Re: hiccup at the brokers

Hi Ronnie,
Glad to hear things are progressing.
We used to keep Natuna in the Clyde during the summer on her mooring at Clynder and I recall Kushka then being kept in Loch Long and owned by a couple who lived at the waters edge there.
Tarbert was a regular stopping off place for us then and we always enjoyed the stay, apart from when the races were on.
We spent several years cruising the Clyde with a Seadog and later with different boats.
Sounds a very enjoyable prospect.
Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
ronald walker
Mar 28, 2009 - 10:05PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: hiccup at the brokers

Hi philip.
Where do you keep glyfada know?The clyde is a terrific cruising ground however if things work out with kushka i plan to explore the west coast just the right type of boat for that.Kind Regards. Ronnie

Email 
Eric Richardson
Apr 3, 2009 - 10:22AM

Hi Ronald

Hows the purchase progressing? Sad that you have had that problem, but at least it sounds as though the broker was up to his job. A lot better than you having to pursue things through the courts.
I hope it does not eat into your sailing programme, the summers are short enough without these sort of delays.

Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin

Board footer