Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:59:49

twotails
Administrator

Safety-may only affect a few boats

Hi To all
The majority of Seadogs have a battery mounted across the engine bearers behind the engine covering the gearbox out put flange and drive shaft assembly. This does not apply to all boats. A few years ago there was a very nasty accident to a guy on a boat (not a Seadog) where this shaft was exposed. Hearing a noise from the engine he lifted the cockpit floor to ascertain the problem. At this time he was wearing a safety harness and the lanyard fell into the engine bay and was picked up by the drive shaft dragging him down and almost tearing him in half.
When I bought Taliesin she had both batteries on the starboard side and all this area exposed, I sailed her like that for years even standing on the bearers with the engine running on occassions untill I heard of this. I immediately made a plywood platform which clipped in covering this danger area. The platform improved my engine access.
Please see if this applies to your boat, but as I said most boats are protected by the battery box.

Regards Eric

Board footer