Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:58:47

twotails
Administrator

Running Engine Ashore

Hi,ive just bought the boat the broker told me the engine was in running order,however i would like to run it before launch day. I would like to know if any of our members have performed this opperation,and how to go about it.Would be very glad if someone could explaine how to do it.The engine is the perkins 4.107 raw water cooled. Kind regards Ronnie

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Mar 19, 2009 - 9:17AM
Re: running engine ashore

We've done it, also when we bought the boat which was ashore at the time. Star Dog still has the original intake and strainer for raw water so we just took the top off the strainer and put a hose in the top. We ran the hose sufficiently to keep the strainer full which meant that it was overflowing slightly into the bilge. Start in the normal manner and as long as there is a good flow of water out of the exhaust you should be OK. As I say Star Dog still has the original intake set up which is ideal but I'm sure that you will be able to "break into" the flow whatever set you have. Enjoy Kushka.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Graham Matthews
Mar 19, 2009 - 9:38AM

Morning Ronnie, and welcome.
Are you sure that the engine is raw water cooled? The more usual arrangement is to take in the seawater and run it through a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger then cools the sealed freshwater cooling system which is sealed and contains antifreeze to prevent corrosion. If you have a cap that looks like an old car radiator cap then you have an indirect freshwater cooled engine.
The recommended way of running ashore is to connect the raw water input to a source of cool water. This is best done by taking the water from a large bucket or barrel and have a hose running into the barrel to keep it topped up. Don't forget to warn anyone standing behind the boat though!
Graham

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi,ive just bought the boat the broker told me the engine was in running order,however i would like to run it before launch day. I would like to know if any of our members have performed this opperation,and how to go about it.Would be very glad if someone could explaine how to do it.The engine is the perkins 4.107 raw water cooled. Kind regards Ronnie

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
John Stopford
Mar 19, 2009 - 11:25AM

I have just run my 4.108 using a piece of 1/2 inch hose pipe into bucket with a hose connected to a water supply. The hose pipe was sealed to the hull skin fitting with marine sealent. As mentioned before stand clear of the stern and we had my someone watch that water was coming out all the time rather than trust the seal would hold. We ran her for 20mins with no problems and allowed me to check everything was working. The only advise I was given was to ensure the hose pipe was narrower than the skin fitting to allow for the suction to work well with the height need to suck the water up, I hope that makes sense. Aid Memoir ensure you check oil and water as with any engine.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Hound Dog
Email 
John Stopford
Mar 19, 2009 - 11:29AM

Another point was to run some anti freeze through at the end of running the engine, if you supect freezing conditions in the future. Not sure if this is sound advise but seems to make sense, open to debate fellow Seadog fanatics.

Email 
Graham Matthews
Mar 19, 2009 - 11:37AM
Re: Re: running engine ashore

Hi,
Yes on Dougal we have a large vetus water strainer located in the port cockpit locker. At the end of the season we close the inlet seacock and pour antifreeze solution from a bucket into the top of the seawater strainer. Some gets spilled and we have to have someone ready on the engine stop button when the bucket is empty. Seems to work fine.
Graham

Email 
Eric Richardson
Mar 21, 2009 - 7:07PM

Hi Ronald

I am sure Graham is right, the Perkins 4-107 needs to be fresh water cooled with a heat exchanger in circuit. The header tank will probably be under a large bronze lid in the cockpit floor at the front.
If you run a 4-107 with sea water passing through the block the wet liners will corrode through rapidly. Re running from a hose pipe, as others have said make sure you do not couple directly in to the system. Let the suction take water at what ever rate it needs. If you seal the hose to the skin fitting it will burst the back seal on the Jabsco pump and possible blow other seals.
Good sailing Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Email 
John Stopford
Mar 23, 2009 - 9:17AM

From Erics cooments.

Please can you explain comments a bit further, I am now worried that advise given to me was duff!!

How do you enable the suction if you can not seal to the skin fitting?

I intend to run my engine ashore quite often as it is dry stored and any advise is welcomed from such informed sources. Hound Dog is stored on a trailer so the skin fitting is about 4feet of the ground and we placed the bucket on the floor directly below with constant running water to keep it full. Obviously hose pipe from bucket to skin fitting which we sealed with Marine Sealant. I do not have a vetus but a bronze strainer.

Look forward to the replies and Many Thanks

Email 
Graham Matthews
Mar 23, 2009 - 9:29AM
Re: Re: running engine ashore

Hi John,
The important thing is to not 'force feed' the engine, particularly the seawater pump, with mains pressure water. The hose should only be used, in some way, to keep the supply of water available. Sealing a 'pick-up' hose to the skin fitting is fine as long as that 'pick up' hose is allowed to suck water at its own speed from the bucket. By adjusting the flow of water into the bucket from the mains hose then the engine can be run quite safely. Whilst it is running you should station someone to monitor the level in the bucket and to check that water continues to be expelled through the exhaust.
If mains pressure water is forced into the seawater pump it is likely to be damaged (impeller blades will be forced the wrong way). By following the guidlines above you are also able to test the seawater pump.
From your last message I assume you have already tried this?
regards
Graham

Email 
Eric Richardson
Mar 23, 2009 - 2:06PM

Hi Ronald

Graham has got it explained better than I had.I just wanted to prevent you from pressurising the
system. I used to use the system outlined by Alan & Debbie letting surplus water run into the bilge, it also tested the bilge pump.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin

Board footer