Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:52:55

twotails
Administrator

Raw Water Pump

I have noticed a very slow drip coming from the raw water pump on my 4108. I have checked all the obvious, inlet, outlet and seal on casing but to me it seems that the drip is forming from the center of the cast underneath. I know its hard to tell without removing but I just wondered if anyone has had a cracked housing before?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dogboat
Email 
Phil
Apr 18, 2013 - 11:11PM
Re: Raw water pump

Hi Louis

I would have thought it unlikely that the casting is cracked (unless the engine was frozen up) the usual fault is a slack / worn out shaft seal. They do a refurb kit, but in the seadog its very difficult to get at.

There has been a thread on the PBO website about replacing the seal.

the following is the link to the thread on PBO -

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.ph … elp-Please

Good luck

Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Louis Goddard
Apr 19, 2013 - 9:11AM

That's great Phil, thank you for the information.
I have just ordered the refurb kit. Now just need to train a monkey to get the pump off before it arrives!
Many thanks,
Louis

Email 
Phil
Apr 19, 2013 - 8:54PM

Hi again

When we had our pump appart I removed the heat exchanger assembly, I could just about get my hands in to work on it. However please please spread something below the area that you are working on i.e some old cushons or pillows, I did not the first time and it took several days of swearing to get the dropped parts out of the bilge.

Regards - Phil

Email 
John Lansdell
Apr 20, 2013 - 6:04PM

Have you got the access hatch in the bulkhead from the saloon in front of the pump to allow you easier access to it? If not let me know and I will see if I can find the drawing.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Graham
Apr 20, 2013 - 7:46PM

John, Diagram is available on the website. link is http://www.seadog.org.uk/water.gif

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Phil
Apr 21, 2013 - 6:55PM

Hi John & Graham

Soyakaze does not have the hatch into the galley, I have looked at the drgs and our structure is not quite the same as the drg. Now that I have retired I hope to find the time to work it out and make a hatch. The one design flaw on the Seadog is the engine / gearbox acces, a smaller modern engine is the answer but hopefully not necessary yet.

Regards - Phil

Email 
Louis Goddard
Apr 22, 2013 - 8:57AM

Hi All,

Sorry about the slow responce, I don't seem to be able to access the forum on my tablet aboard but have found some wifi this morning on my laptop.
Thank you for all your advise.
Yes, thankfully I do have the access hatch. Had a look over the weekend and doesn't seem too bad. Will let you know how I get on.
Louis

Email 
Louis Goddard
Apr 29, 2013 - 9:29AM

The removal of the pump its self wasn't to much of a problem. I decided that I would replace the water seal and the oil seal while the pump was off. Water seal wasn't a problem but the oil rear seal was a right pig to get out. Anyway, all sorted and not a drip in sight smile

Board footer