Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:43:30

twotails
Administrator

Prop spinning

We are the happy new owners of Pielago!
It was great to see 7 knots on the GPS in a force 4 but investigation of a slight rumbling proved to be coming from the turning prop, is there a way of stopping it turning? (Perkins 4108/velvet drive). And, when sailing across the'chop' while well heeled there were some fairly heavy thumps from, I suspect, waves hitting the bilge keels,......... do they all do this?
Lastly, just for the moment you understand!, has anybody fitted a shower in the forepeak, I need to fit one before our long hot summer!... a chat would be really helpful.
Our mooring; River Plym Plymouth.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Pielago
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Jun 3, 2009 - 8:38AM
Re: Prop spinning

I've wonderd about this too but from a different prespective. Does the spinning prop cause any damage / wear to the gear box or is it the opposite, ie; does the gear box need to turn to keep every thing lubricated?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Seamus McGloughlin
Jun 3, 2009 - 1:20PM

Prop turning with the velvet drive is normal and causes no problem as far as I am aware.

The banging noise is water and air being trapped between the bilge keel and main keel and being forced when the boat crashes into a wave, It sounds terrible but causes no damage except maybe in a hurricane. I have been in a force 8 gale and the sounds are interesting to say the least as teh keels bound into the seas.

All the best

Séamus

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Cushag of Mann (Dun Laoghaire)
Email 
John Lansdell
Jun 4, 2009 - 2:38PM

About a Shower!, not the prop.

I have fitted all the makings of a shower, but as yet have not used it.

The existing foc'sle deck (floor?) was replaced by a teak shower grid made from premachined sections from K J Howells of Poole. This is covered by a sheet of marine ply covered in non slip vinyl, used in retirement homes, when not being used as a shower.

The aft bulkhead of the shower "puddle" was sealed off. We have a Lavac toilet so the suction side now has a changeover valve in it to allow suction from Loo or shower. If the area is drained to the engine bilge you are very likely to get most unattractive smells in the saloon from soap and other residues as they coat the gutter below the floor, especially in hot weather.

To reduce the amount of water splash in the area there are two standard, but shortened shower curtains, ex LIDL, hanging from pan head screws on the bulkeads. The curtain edges are on the after edge of the both cupboards, and lap over each other.

The shower is a pump up 5 litre garden spray, outlet pipe modified to take a Plastimo shower head with an on/off lever on it. With a bit of practice you can get an adequate shower with 5 to 6 pints of preheated water, by wetting and rinsing in sections. We used this system when we went across the Atlantic,(not on a Sedog though) very successfully.

We are planning to be in Fowey on the 27th of June, why not come and see the installation and see some other 'dogs and their owners at the same time? We might even have used it by then!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Eric Richardson
Jun 8, 2009 - 1:05PM

Hi Steve & Anne

The prop spinning with the Borg Warner box is no problem and gives less retardation than you get with a prop shaft brake. In fairness to the gearbox it is best to run the engine for a few minutes every couple of days or so to throw a bit of oil around but that only arrises if you are doing long offshore passages.
Don't worry about the banging from the bilge keels as said it's due to trapped air, it can get loud in a Gale, but by then you do not notice it between prayers or visits to feed the fish.

Regards Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin

Board footer