Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 20:32:16

twotails
Administrator

Prop Shaft Coupling

I want to remove the prop on Glass Lady to inspect the shaft.
What tools are required to disconnect the after shaft coupling?
The nuts are 11/16ths imperial but the bolt heads are set into their respective flanges and, using a mirror, seem to have a recess for an allen key. Advice welcome.

Rgds, Duncan
Email 
Graham
Oct 30, 2010 - 7:56PM
Re: Prop Shaft Coupling

Hi Duncan,
There may be some difference between SeaDogs but it sounds as though you may have the same on Glass Lady as we have on Dougal.
Yes the screws have an allen key head. We found that ours were too tight to tackle with a typical allen wrench but found out that the same hex shape can be purchased fitted into a socket set type attachment. Using suitable extension bars you can then reach the heads from within the engine compartment (after removing the engine start battery and case).
It is a two person job,one in the cockpit and one in the aft cabin laid out full length on the berth (with mattress removed. It sounds difficult but with the correct tools can be done in about 10 minutes.
With the shafts disconnected they can be persuaded to pass each other far enough to remove the propeller.
good luck!
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Graham
Oct 30, 2010 - 7:59PM

Forgot to mention, not certain of the allen key size but the easiest way to check is by testing with a standard allen key set, you might even be lucky and be able to remove the screws using one of them!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Duncan MacDonald
Oct 31, 2010 - 3:12PM

Thanks Graham.
I had presumed that it was one bolt straight through the coupling.
Not very suitable for a flexible connection! So, I can ignore the bolt and concentrate on the hex-head screw?
Rgs, Duncan

Board footer