Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Tue 20th Jan 2015 17:24:19

twotails
Administrator

Prop kick (on Rudder) - under power only

I seem to recall (from somewhere?) that the Rudders had redesign(s?) / got bigger over the years of production.

Just wondered if anyone else has the same issue (mine built 1970) of prop kick (on the Rudder) under power (only) Not bad enough to be an issue - it's just a PITA. FWIW Rudder does not appear to have play in it.

I am reluctant to make any mods to the rudder as under sail she tracks like on rails! Just would be good to hear that "they are all like that"

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya
Email 
Graham
Dec 1, 2011 - 5:23PM
Re: Prop kick (on Rudder) - under power only

"they are all like that"

Seriously though yes they all have that problem. We tried to get rid of the problem by fitting a feathering prop, it made no noticeable difference to reversing but did seem to have a benefit when sailing.
Many owners say that the prop kick is an advantage as it helps when coming alongside.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Eric Richardson
Dec 4, 2011 - 12:56PM
Re: Prop kick (on Rudder) - under power only

Hi David

I take it you are talking about is feeling movement in the rudder when going astern(a rattling)? Not what is refered to as prop walk where the stern of the boat moves sideways due to the paddle wheel effect.
If its movement in the rudder it will probably be due to wear in the rudder pintle bearing. Not a big job to sort out but you will either need access to a lathe or know a friendly fitter who has such facilities.
If you need talking through the job of sorting pintle bearing problems out give me a call.

Eric

Board footer