Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 21:07:06

twotails
Administrator

Perkins Service

John Stopford
Apr 22, 2009 - 5:19PM
Its my 1st Service for a Perkins 4108 with Velvet Drive

Hi All

I hope you can help as always

I am looking service the perkins 4108 and velvet drive plus the steering box on Hound Dog in two weeks time.

Questions

Any advise?
Can you name some good suppliers? (Mail Order)

I have oils sourced from Millars oils who are local.
So it is the filters, impellers,plus whatever else you suggest.

Look Forward to your responses as always.

Many Thanks in advance.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Hound Dog
Email 
Eric Richardson
Apr 23, 2009 - 2:01PM
Re: Its my 1st Service for a Perkins 4108 with Velvet Drive

Hi John

You should be able to get bits from ASAP at Beccles, but filters, belts etc are available from Motorist DIY shops at best prices.

It's a bit difficult to list what you should do not knowing the previous serice history. Engine oil and filter should be changed at lay up time so that the engine stands without the acid content in the oil.

I have just listed some of the main tasks with a few notes.

Starting point is does everything work ok because if it does don't alter anything whilst servicing!

Engine
1 Check all cooling water pipes, hoses etc both seawater and fresh, also inlet water filter.
2 Examine the exhaust sytem, if its original check the flexible section to make sure it is still flexible and not breaking up.
3 Check thermo start tank and feed pipe, the tanks are prone to corrosion.
4 Check coolant level, if not done recently change the anti freeze solution to prevent corrosion.
5 Change engine oil and filter element. (Millers oil is ok)
6 Change fuel filter element and check sedimenter for water. Its a good idea to let a bit of diesel out of each tank in turn to ensure they are free of water.
7 Change seawater pump impeller.
8 Check alternator belt for condition and tension.

Battery
Batteries should be checked over and terminals coated with vasaline or symilar protective.

Gearbox
1 check the pipes to and from the oil cooler, if these need replacing go to your nearest hydraulic hose supplier who will make them up for you.
2 Change gearbox oil, the easy way to empty the gearbox is by removing the pipe from the oil cooler and putting the end in a 5 litre container then starting the engine in nuetral, as soon as oil stops pumping stop the engine and reconnect the pipe. This brief run will not harm any thing. refill to level with ATF Fluid, again run the engine for a short while and recheck the oil level. Note ATF Fluid is red and pretty clear when seen on the dipstick.

Drive Shaft
Some Seadogs have a short shaft between the gearbox and the propeller shaft. These are connected by two flexible couplings which should be inspected periodicaly for signs of wear, shown by the rubber inserts splitting.

Throttle and gear lever controls and cables should be given the once over, it's embarrasing when berthing fast and the gearbox control cable decides to come uncoupled.

I am sure I have missed some bits but if you have any problems give me a bell.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin

Board footer