Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 21:03:53

twotails
Administrator

Perkins 4.107 Temperature Sender

Phil & Chris
Apr 18, 2010 - 9:51PM
Perkins 4107 Temperature Sender

Our Temperature alarm buzer sometimes goes off !

On starting the engine the alarm sounder and light turns off after a few seconds however after 5 or so minutes it sounds again (and the light comes on). If I stop the engine, leave it for a minute or so and restart and all is well with no reoccurance of the warning. The engine is not overheating and when the warning sounds it hardly feels warm to the touch, raw water is pumping through the exhaust and the temperature gauge is showing 40 to 50 degrees.

I can only conclude that the warning sensor is faulty as all of the wiring is all ok and therfore the sensor must be intermitent and occasionally connecting to earth.

Does anyone know where I can get a new sender please.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
E Richardson
Apr 21, 2010 - 10:43AM
Re: Perkins 4107 Temperature Sender

Hi Phil
It's a bit difficult to comment on this one. Is this an engine temperature alarm, or an exhaust temperature alarm?
If it's engine temperature then any good motorist DIY shop should be able to get you a sender given the old unit as a sample. They do come in different sizes and threads. It will not be calibrated particularly accurately but will do the job OK.
If it is an exhaust alarm then Vetus do one and they are readily available.
Hope that helps.
Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Phil
Apr 21, 2010 - 9:11PM

Thank you Eric for your comments

We do not have an exhaust Temp sensor !

I had forgotten about Vectus !

Regards - Phil

Email 
Philip Ellis
Apr 21, 2010 - 11:13PM

Hi Phil,

Just a question, what makes you suspect that this is a temp alarm as opposed to an oil pressure alarm?
When I last saw her I don't recall Soyakase having an oil pressure gauge, therefore a low oil pressure alarm is likely to be fitted.
If so then the oil level, the grade of oil,the oil pressure and or switch should be investigated.
Your exhaust was a hot exhaust with a newish Parsons box and a tell tale over the side to confirm raw water flow.
Hope this helps

Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
Email 
Phil
Apr 21, 2010 - 11:52PM

Hi Philip

Two wires come up from the engine and are joined together in the instrument panel and are connected to the warning light and the sounder (in parrallel) the other side of the warning light and sounder is connected to terminal one on the keyswitch.

If either of these wires connects to earth the light comes on and the sounder goes off.

When the thing goes off I tried disconnecting each of the wires in turn and the oil pressure one was not shorting to earth but the other was.

After shutting down and restarting and no warning going off I rechecked the sensor with a meter and it was no longer shorting to earth !

The sensor is therefore "temperamental" ?

PS I have replaced the wires with new larger CSA than before as I suspected that the old wires were in poor condition.

I will try to pick up a spare sensor at the boat jumble this Sunday

Regards - Phil

Email 
Philip Ellis
Apr 22, 2010 - 9:29PM

Hi Phil,
OK I am with you so far but to clarify just where on engine is this device fitted? The temp sender for the gauge is normally fitted at the forward starboard end of the cylinder head. There is a another position just to port of that and is usually plugged with a 1/2 in npt plug.
From your description of its operation the device you are looking for is not a sensor but a thermal switch, some of these have three terminals, if this type then there will be another wire connected to engine chassis this will need checking out as too.
Hope this helps

Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
Email 
Phil
Apr 23, 2010 - 11:37PM

Hi

You are right there are two "sensors" the one on the left is a true sensor and it drives the temperature gauge. The one on the right is as you point out is a thermal switch. Ours has just one wire on to a central post (bit like a spark plug).

I have just noticed that the "central post" is loose ! and will not tighten up.

I am going to search the boat jumble on Sunday for a spare.

Thanks for help in getting the grey matter into gear.

Regards - Phil

Board footer