Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:58:37

twotails
Administrator

Original Anchor Winch

Steve and Anne, Seadog 'Pielago'
Feb 4, 2010 - 5:54PM
Original anchor winch

Has anybody experience of stripping down the anchor winch, mine is rather stiff but otherwise fine, (there is plenty of oil inside)
John Lansdell
Feb 4, 2010 - 7:47PM
Re: Original anchor winch

Yes, and I have the Simpson-Lawrence Manual for it, with cutaway and parts list.

Would you like me to send you a copy as an email attachment?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Graham
Feb 4, 2010 - 7:52PM

Sorry to but in John, but could I put my name down for one of those as well please?
Not certain if the one on Dougal is the same one but always happy to receive potentially useful documentation.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Steve and Anne, Seadog 'Pielago'
Feb 4, 2010 - 8:58PM

Yes please John, any ideas on how to pull the rope drum off!?
John Lansdell
Feb 4, 2010 - 9:28PM

I'm not certain. The manual shows a key with a large washer on the end of the shaft, held in by a bolt. However, I seem to remember ours is held in solely by a wedge, come key, driven in by a hammer. I'm hoping to go down to Twotails tomorrow, and hope its not raining.
With luck you may both get the manual as an email attachment.

Email 
E Richardson
Feb 5, 2010 - 9:27AM

Hi There

It is to many years since I stripped mine to remember the details, but with an aluminium drum on a steel shaft it pays to heat up the aluminium which expands more than steel. It also helps to break any corrosion at the interface. I do remember that it stripped down easily with just a few strategic thumps in the right places.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
John Lansdell
Feb 5, 2010 - 10:32AM

Our drum was steel, on a steel shaft. I haven't been down to Twotails yet to confirm how the drum is actually held on.

Email 
Graham
Feb 5, 2010 - 10:35AM

Our drum is aluminium, but the chain gypsy is steel, and therefor rusty.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
John Lansdell
Feb 5, 2010 - 12:26PM

Correction, our drum is cast iron, held onto the shaft by a steel wedge driven in horizontally. There is no threaded hole on our shaft for a bolt. As for getting the drum off, several hefty squirts of WD40 at both ends, followed by judicious tapping on the drum by a soft headed mallet, angled to help it on its way, and rotating the drum between taps, would be my bet. If your drum is cast iron do not hit the lip of the drum, you may break it off, and spares are like hens teeth! It may take several attempts.

Email 
IAN MATTHEWS
Feb 23, 2010 - 3:47AM

HI JOHN COULD YOU SEND ME THE DETAILS ON THE ORIGNAL ANCHOR WINCH MANY THANKS IAN MATTHEWS EMAIL IANSEADOG@AOL.COM

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) PAVONIA

Board footer