Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:54:23

twotails
Administrator

New Sails

Jan K
Oct 23, 2009 - 6:13PM
New Sails

I am planning to have a new furling headsail and maybe a new mainsail made this season. Can anyone recommend a good (and competitively priced) sailmaker in the south of England (I am based near Southampton)?

Any advice on sail material to use or design etc.. would also be appreciated. The furling mechanism is made by Colnebrook

I assume that the standard furling headsail is 150%?

Many thanks,

Jan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gina
Email 
Graham
Oct 23, 2009 - 6:45PM
Re: New Sails

Hi Jan,
Our headsail was made by Ray Blackmore of Fareham and was excellent. Sadly he gave up sail making just after that :-(.
Our new mainsail was made by Sanders Sails of Lymington and the quality and service was excellent, however the price was high.
Arun Sails/Rockall of Bosham have been recommended to us as reasonable quality at a reasonable price. Next year we need a new foresail and mizzen and will be talking to them as well as Sanders.
I will be watching this thread with interest and would love to hear how you get on.
Our foresail is to be replaced because we now have a taller mast and it does not fit, the mizzen has just gone too baggy to be useful.
Yes I think the foresail should be 150% and should have a foam padded luff.
good luck
Graham & Gaye

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Graham
Oct 23, 2009 - 6:47PM

One extra thought, if possible get the sail maker to measure and recommend dimensions. There can be quite a variation in mast heights and sheeting positions may also vary.
Graham

Email 
Phil & Chris Ricketts
Oct 24, 2009 - 6:35PM

Try Foil sales near Lymington its one man business run by a craftsman.

I recently had my Ray Blackmore genoa serviced by Foil, excelent job done, plus loads of advice.

Small businesses may not be able to compete on volume but they do not have the overheads either so the prices are reasonable plus you get personal service.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Kevin Arthur
Oct 27, 2009 - 5:30PM

My friend has a seadog (moored at Muddeford) I crewed for him a few weeks ago and he had a new Genoa made for him (made to measure slightly larger than the previous one) from abroad. He told me the quality was excellent and he saved @ 30% off a UK quote. Hi name is Ian James I can't recall the name of his boat however if you wish I will make more investiagations next week as we are sailing around the Isle of Wight...

Kind regards. Kevin
Email 
Graham
Oct 27, 2009 - 5:42PM

Hi,
Very keen to hear from Ian James. Had a quick check and can't find an owner by that name, nor a SeaDog based at Muddeford.
Pehaps we have found one of the missing ones right on our doorstep?
Graham

Email 
Jan K
Jan 2, 2010 - 8:22PM

I have now obtained 3 quotes for a new 145% furling headsail and UV strip (Kemps Sails 6.5 oz Bainbridge International Dracon @ £597; Quay Sails same spec @ £730; Crusader Sails; 7.5oz material as above with padded luff @ £630)

I decided to place the order with Crusader Sails (Poole). The sails are made here in the UK and I have seen their sail loft. They were also happy to visit the boat (ashore at Southampton) to take measurements and I have also used them previously to make a stack-a-pack and lazy jack system for me.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Gina

Board footer