Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:52:21

twotails
Administrator

New Propeller

Graham Matthews
Jan 22, 2009 - 6:59PM
New Propeller?

Having just bought and paid for our new feathering prop (Featherstream from Darglow in Dorset)I just knew that a breakthrough would come along :-)
Anyone seen or tried the new one from Axion, with square section blades?
Makes sense to me, see www.axiompropellers.com.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Robert Peebles
Jan 28, 2009 - 11:21PM
Re: New Propeller?

I had a look at their web-site following the mention in PBO this month. Maybe they have found a revolutionary (no pun intended) new prop design - PBO say they will conduct trials later this year, so we may get an indication then.

However, my own first impression is that why on earth should you consider it as an alternative to a feathering prop? The axiom has huge blades that don't appear to feather. Imagine dragging three shovels along behind you when sailing! Significantly, the 'trials' they list with the props fitted to sailing yachts seem to have included only motoring and motor-sailing, no sailing per se: but then they may argue that there was no point when they were trying to compare fuel consumption rather than drag.

I remain to be convinced.

Kind regards,

Board footer