Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:50:39

twotails
Administrator

New Engine - A Yanmar

Steve Abbott
Jun 3, 2009 - 12:11AM
New engine - a Yanmar!

We;ve finally bitten the bullet - and cashed in my (rubbish) pension plan for the finance - and ordered a replacement engine.

Whilst I've long respected Graham's (and others) arguement that the Beta engine is the natural replacement, the fact that the boat's in Greece means that local availability and expertise dictates a choice between Volvo or Yanmar. The latter's reliability reputation made it an easy choice, and we've opted for the 30 horse model (the next model up at 40hp was a financial step too far). We're also replacing all the associated gear (exhaust, sea-water system, gearbox etc.), and disposing of our rusty 41 year old mild steel fuel tanks, replacing with a single plastic one of 88 litre capacity on the starboard side (with deck filler!), and a shelf for batteries and storage to port, in order to provide a counterbalance.

The job is due to be finished by the end of August, in order for us to have a three-week cruise, and since this is an unusual choice of replacement engine (as far as I'm aware), I'll let you know what I think of the unit, and post some pictures upon our return.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa

Board footer