Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:49:48

twotails
Administrator

Navigation Lights

Steve Abbott
Jul 9, 2010 - 10:22AM
Navigation Lights

We have what are probably the original nav lights - Simpson Lawrence triangular boxes of (what appears to be) chromed brass, mounted on hardwood "boxes" forward of the windscreen on each side.

These have never worked - which has not been a problem as we haven't sailed at night, nor do we have any intention of doing so.
However, I'd like to have some working lights just in case (but don't want the trouble & expense of running a cable through the mast for a masthead fitting), and would ideally like to refurbish those I have, since they're old, and look "right". Having said that, they're possibly beyond repair anyway, and I'm told that they're "illegal", as they have curved coloured glass as opposed to Fresnel lenses.

So, a three part question:-

a) Even if I can refurbish, can I still "legally" use them?
b) Does anyone know of a source of "traditional" looking replacements?
c) If you've replaced with modern ones, which ones? (I want a triangular shape to fit back on the original boxes)

Thanks as always in anticipation for your help!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
Philip Ellis
Jul 9, 2010 - 10:02PM
Re: Navigation Lights

I have recently replaced the original Simpson Lawrence side lights.With Series 25 Aqua signal lights. These are readily available in either black or white and fit nicely in the corner of the light boards as did the originals.
The only slight difficulty is that the cable entry is at the top rear where the lamp is fixed to the long side of the board, this was accommodated by spacing the new lights off the board by about 4 millimetres and bringing the cable through the existing hole in the board where the the clamp screw used to protrude.
I was not unduly concerned about the "legality" of the originals although it is now being mentioned by surveyors and now doubt the insurance company would be interested particularly in the event of a related claim. So electing for new compliant lamps removes that question.
I also now have matching Steam and stern lamps.
I will take a photo the weekend and post it to the gallery.
Hope this helps
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada, ex Natuna
Philip Ellis
Jul 16, 2010 - 12:05AM

Correction to above.

I should have said that Series 40 aquasignal lights were used and not Series 25.

I have tried to upload some photos showing the new lights fitted to the original light boards.

Regards
Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada
Email 
John Lansdell
Jul 20, 2010 - 7:48PM

A comment regarding the original P &S lights.

Being low and somewhere near midships, they can be obscured under certain circumstances by the foresail, particularly a genoa. They also require two bulbs!

I've chosen to have a combined P & S light on the pulpit, higher, more visible, and only one bulb.

The original wooden light boxes have been modified into handholds to bridge the gap between the rails on the saloon deckhead and the cockpit cover.

Board footer