Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:47:34

twotails
Administrator

My Forepeak Porthole Now Opens

David
Oct 6, 2010 - 10:39PM
My forepeak porthole now............opens!

only took me 5 years to discover that

Appreciate that different designs fitted to Seadogs, but just in case it helps someone else:-

never seen a design like that before - always had a bit of a weep, now I know why. can't see how the design can ever be 100% watertight, so something else on the list............

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya
Eric Richardson
Oct 7, 2010 - 10:44AM
Re: My forepeak porthole now............opens!

Hi David

When I bought Taliesin I was shown how to open the Porthole, and told that it leaked in a seaway. After a short time I found the leak to be a nuisance so sealed it with clear silicone sealer. That solved one problem and made another, It no longer leaked but the silicone would not stop creeping across the front of the glassfibre. I used to clean it off with teecut, but never managed to stop this creeping dark stain.

Eric
David
Oct 8, 2010 - 12:05AM

thanks for that, will bear it in mind as was thinking that sealant would be a temporary fix (albeit some of those can last a little while ). Just can't see how that design could ever seal well, even when new - that might explain why I had never seen one before.

but plan is to replace with a non-opening porthole. did think about a more traditional opening version, but I bash my head as it is - I'd end up with concussion with something even bigger..........

Just thought I would post as one of those things that is so simple and obvious when you know. ............

Ron Ryan
Sep 10, 2012 - 9:25PM

For those who wish to replace the original porthole - Pfeiffer Marine now supply a updated version. The complete fitting can be bought from a German Chandler www.svb.de. They can also supply just a glass replacement with gasket or indeed just the gasket.
I found that giving the gasket an occasional squirt of silicon spray keeps it supple and watertight.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Offenbach
Email 
David
Sep 15, 2012 - 6:27PM

Cheers for that - seems it has been nearly 2 years since my last post, the temporary fix is still in place!

I had a looksee at that website - the design seems a bit better than what I have. .....a fixed porthole is still in the plan though (mostly to do with less to bash me head on!).

But I now have half a plan for an opening porthole on the Starboard side (above the shelf) - and maybe even 1 pr 2 in the saloon.......will let folks know how that goes......in about 5 years?!

Email 
SAI NILGRI
Sep 18, 2012 - 6:42PM

Hello Seadog folk! I was reading this thread about port holes. Very interesting reading.

Some one mentioned about adding additional port holes. That's fine! It is one's own boat. I respect that view. However, I wish to ask , a couple of questions from those who know about the original Reg. Freeman design.

I see some of the boats have no port hole in the rear of the aft cabin and some that do. The ones that do have a port hole in the rear of the aft cabin, was that an orighinal design or a later owner refit?

Aslo, if having port holes, is it better to have fixed port holes or ones that open? I am talking about port holes only for viewing and not so much about ventilation. Also I remember reading about blue water boats like the Seadog are supposed to have the least number of port holes as in a capsize, they are higly vulnerable.

Your views and opinions would be very much appreciated. (I being a new comer wish to learn, know, understand and gain insights into every aspect of this boat. Because when I do buy one I will be well informed. Please be patient with my lines of questioning)

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Crew and Serious Enthusiast
Email 
John Lansdell
Sep 18, 2012 - 8:19PM

So far as I know no 'dogs had a stern window in the aft cabin as an original fit. There are two main reason for fitting them. Some people find it can get stuffy there when the ambient temperature is high, and others find it a bit dark. We have fitted one on Twotails.

The point about opening hatches is a matter of judgement. On a flat calm. having a hatch open is no probem, but at anything at F4 or above I believe it is safer to have it closed.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
David
Sep 22, 2012 - 11:00AM

Quote: SAI NILGRI

I see some of the boats have no port hole in the rear of the aft cabin and some that do. The ones that do have a port hole in the rear of the aft cabin, was that an orighinal design or a later owner refit?

My understanding is the same as John's - the port holes are non-original (hence the various types). That is also on my "To do list" as I do find the aft cabin a bit stuffy (it's as much about generating a through draft as anything) - but I use it mostly as storage at the moment, so not a high priority.

Quote:

Aslo, if having port holes, is it better to have fixed port holes or ones that open? I am talking about port holes only for viewing and not so much about ventilation. Also I remember reading about blue water boats like the Seadog are supposed to have the least number of port holes as in a capsize, they are higly vulnerable.

I don't see that as a Seadog specific question - if any boat capsizes there are going to be issues! and to capsize a Seadog would take some effort! (of course can happen, same as for any boat).

In practice I see it more as a potential heavy weather (breaking seas) vulnerability issue. The Porthole(s) I was talking about would be the traditional round brass / bronze type (around 5 or 6 inches), rather than a more modern design or larger (rectangular). My thinking is that both the opening and fixed portholes are as strong as each other (the opening ones being rather heavily built).

Of course putting a hole in anywhere on a boat does take some careful thought - and the structural issues have to be considered. But to my mind (albeit am not an engineer!) is that a porthole on the starboard side of the forepeak would not be an issue as plenty of structural "meat" around that location......the ones inside the saloon I am still mulling over (including on looks and simply whether to bother - they are not desperately needed) - I may even go for making one (or 2) of the existing windows opening (but that may also depend on what the bank manager says!).

Not to say that anything wrong with the Seadog ventilation as it is - but IMO on some things more is better! (or at least the option is). Personally I would not bother with any added Portholes simply for added light (i.e. non-opening), plenty of light in the Saloon and Forepeak (that hatch lets a lot of light in even when closed). Aft Cabin can be a bit gloomy - but that not really a daylight living area - and at nightime there be electric light!

Anyway, feel free to post up anymore queries.

Just in case you have not already stumbled accross my own Seadog website:-

https://sites.google.com/a/jaytac.com/seadog/

Links to a few other Seadog places on the internet.

Email 
SAI
Sep 24, 2012 - 6:59PM

Hi David,

(Hi to John too) Thank you both for your input on the matter of port holes. David I have come across your website before. However, this time I notice you seem to have taken off your wife's photo from the home page if I remember right.

Take care and thanks once again. When I get the time I will be going into other parts of the forum. Especially on bowsprits. As this is an area I am currently interested in.

Cheers!

Sai

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Crew and Serious Enthusiast
Email 
David
Sep 25, 2012 - 7:18PM

Quote: SAI
Hi David,

(Hi to John too) Thank you both for your input on the matter of port holes. David I have come across your website before. However, this time I notice you seem to have taken off your wife's photo from the home page if I remember right.

Take care and thanks once again. When I get the time I will be going into other parts of the forum. Especially on bowsprits. As this is an area I am currently interested in.

Cheers!

Sai

Sai,

You've got a good memory! - my website moved accross to Google Sites a while back (Free and it has no Google ads on it!) and got a revamp enroute.

A bowsprit is on my wishlist as well - dunno if it will ever happen though........

......but I have been collecting pics of Seadog Bowsprits for a couple of years just in case!

http://s1047.photobucket.com/albums/b47 … 0fittings/

Email 
Steve Abbott
Oct 3, 2012 - 11:36PM

We're one of the couple of Seadogs in the Med, and found the aft cabin (where we always sleep) unbearably hot, as there's no through ventilation.

I bought a traditional bronze porthole (on ebay), and with enormous trepidation, cut the hole from the outside with a jigsaw (using a ceramic tile blade); I expected to find a a cable supplying power to a central light fitting on the ceiling, and was proved to be right, so cut half the circle first, and extended the cable, tucking it into the gap between roof and headlining.

The cut turned out to be surprisingly clean and tidy, and drilling the bolt holes (from the inside) worked out OK after offering up the pothole as a guide. My window came with a bronze ring to go around the outside, and I'd recommend similar if not included (fairly easily made if the porthole is supplied to the manufacturer), as it tidies up the job, covers any splintering of the gel coat; and obviates the need for washers on the bolts - which were brass, and neatly finished with dome nuts; obviously the whole lot was bedded and sealed with Sikaflex. I used a short length of brass rod spliced on to a little piece of rope and screwed onto the bulkhead as a "T-piece" hold the porthole in the open position, and added an insect screen by sandwiching a piece of mosquito net between two carefully measured and cut rings of thin plywood, which simply drops in from the outside.

The whole job turned out to be far quicker and simpler than I'd anticipated, and looks as though it was designed and built that way; it's also extremely effective, by providing the through-draft necessary for ventilation - it's probably the best thing I've done on the boat. Somewhere I've photographs that I might be able to find if anyone's that interested.

Additionally, we're one of the boats that's had a bowsprit added, and would be happy to have a seperate conversation about the pros and cons if it would help.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa

Board footer