Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:41:39

twotails
Administrator

Mizzen Tabernacle Bolts

Phil
Apr 21, 2011 - 11:25PM
Mizzen Bolts

Does anyone know the size of the bolts used in the Mizen support strut and where can I get some please ?

Also

Any advice on changing the bolts would be welcome

Thanks - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Graham
Apr 21, 2011 - 11:48PM
Re: Mizzen Bolts

Hi Phil,
Do you mean the ones that hold the wooden tabernacle to the aft cabin bulkhead?
Our original ones were mild steel and almost gone completely. When we replaced them we added stainless bands around the tabernacle to provide extra support.
I know most SeaDogs have some sort of plates added.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Phil
Apr 22, 2011 - 9:41AM

Hello Graham

Yes you have the correct bolts

We have the original mild steel ones and no plates or band. The idea of plates or a band seems good, I will sort through my bits box and make up something.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Graham
Apr 22, 2011 - 9:46AM

Our stainless bands extend around 3 sides of the tabernacle and are screwed in on port and starboard in addition to the 2 long bolts that go straight through. 2 of them are in the original locations, we added a third in the middle. Probably overkill, but that is me.......
regards
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Eric Richardson
Apr 22, 2011 - 11:01AM

Hi Phil

I like Grahams suggestion of banding them, as a mid way suggestion if the plate went across the front and just folded about 1" round each side made from say 30mm wide by 5mm thick plate in 316 SS that would be ok. If you have difficulty getting suitable bolts Screw Fix do screwed rod in all sizes, be sure to get A4 though as they also stock A2. A backing plate or very large penny washers is needed on the inside of the bulkhead to spread the load.

Eric
Phil
Apr 22, 2011 - 11:19AM

Thanks Gents for the ideas

I will measure up now as SS 316 is not the stuff to try cutting on board.

Regards - Phil

Board footer