Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:40:51

twotails
Administrator

Mizzen Mast Bracing Pole

Steve Abbott
Sep 23, 2009 - 12:55PM
Mizzen Mast Bracing Pole

Hi all. Just back from Greece and our first cruise with our new Yanmar 30hp engine, with which we're delighted, and about which I'll post some pictures and info soon.

As usual, we had a few minor problems, which I'll be asking for your gallant and expert help in seperate posts shortly.

The first issue is that the short stubby pole sticking out from the fore side of the mizzen, and secured by a tensioned wire to the top of the mast and about a third of the way from the bottom has snapped off (it also supported one of those old tetrahedral radar reflectors, and I guess that the strain of this over the years induced metal fatigue).

I'm assuming that the purpose of this was not specifically to support the reflector, but to provide stiffness to the mast.

So my question is this: is my assumption correct, and is the pole therefore necessary, or can I leave it off?

If I do have to replace it, would anyone be able to supply the length and diameter of the pole, together with the guage and length of the wires, both above and below the pole; unfortunately, I stupidly threw the whole lot away without measuring, and if I need one, I'd like to have it made up before reurning to Greece next year.

Thanks as always in anticipation.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Arethusa
Email 
Eric Richardson
Sep 23, 2009 - 4:57PM
Re: Mizzen Mast Bracing Pole

Hi Steve
yes the short strut in front of the mast is necessary, it is there to resist the bending force produced by the triatic stay and that from the mizzen sheet. If you think about it when you tighten the mizzen sheet it tries to pull the top of the mast back and the only thing stoping it is the reaction via the triatic stay and the wire stay down the mast front.
The length is not critical, but make the strut longer than the original if you have to guess the length, and tension the wire till it starts to put a slight bend in the mast, then back off untill the mast is just about straight. I think it was 3/16" dia wire.

Board footer