Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:24:22

twotails
Administrator

Layup Ashore

Robert Peebles
Sep 30, 2009 - 9:49PM
Lay-up ashore - keel dimensions

Rather stupidly, when inspecting Jacarah pre purchase and also seeing Glass Lady ashore, I did not take a note of the height difference between the centre and bilge keels.

Jacarah will be laid up over the winter on baulks of timber, and I'd like to have an idea in advance roughly what extra thickness I will need to support the bilge keels. I presume all the triple keelers are about the same.

Any tips about what works well would be very welcome.

Kind regards,

Robert

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah
Email 
Mark
Sep 30, 2009 - 10:25PM
Re: Lay-up ashore - keel dimensions

It is barely an inch or two. A couple of shallow wedges under each bilge keel should be all you need.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Salia
Email 
david
Oct 1, 2009 - 12:51AM

Yeah, an inch or 2.

Mines been on a tidal working berth for a good while (or so!), with a firm harbour bottom. She often balances on her main keel - with both bilge keels airborne, a bit disconcerting in a breeze as she sways a bit!, but nice to know she is so well balanced......when she was ashore the wedges under her bilge keels did have a tendency to move / slip.........something to keep an eye on, so she doesnt continuously rock on her bilge keels............I did think about draining one water tank. but didn't

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Wayluya
Email 
Eric Richardson
Oct 1, 2009 - 9:25AM

Hi David

It will be between 1 & 2inches, they do vary slightly maybe the moulds got knocked about a bit. I used to set Taliesin up on railway sleepers, then lightly drive wedges with a slow taper under each bilge keel. 3 wedges/keel. The wedges were then nailed in place to stop any chance of them working loose.

Regards Eric
Philip Ellis
Oct 2, 2009 - 10:01AM

I concur with all of the above but would like to add.

If you are in frost prone area, do drain the tanks and then lightly replace the bung, this will prevent any mice etc crawling in.
Also take care to check the level fore and aft such that the two deck drains are at the low point,as you set it down go for a level waterline then a final check with a bucket of water.

Philip

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Glyfada ex Natuna
Robert Peebles
Oct 6, 2009 - 1:51PM

Many thanks for all of the above. Lay-up is at the end of next week for us, so I'll beetle off and get some appropriate wedges made up, and remember the other commments re draining tanks, etc.

Kind regards,

Robert

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Jacarah

Board footer