Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:22:54

twotails
Administrator

Laptop Chartplotter 2009

Alan and Debbie
Jun 2, 2009 - 5:57PM
Lap top chart plotter

One for Graham this I think. We are tempted to buy the Imray chart / plotter software as featured in Sailing today this month. But while I understand how we can get the charts onto the laptop I am confused by how it can work as chart plotter. There clearly needs to be a link into a GPS somewhere. We have a 1998ish Navman plotter but to the best of my knowledge there is no additional output port. Is there a widget we can buy to make aconnection to the laptop's USB??

Alan and Debbie

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Graham
Jun 2, 2009 - 8:09PM
Re: Lap top chart plotter

Hi Alan & Debbie,
Have not seen the report mentioned but we have been using computer based chartplotter for many years now and strongly recommend it. Assuming you can keep the laptop or scren dry (quite easy on the nav station with a seadog sprayhood) then it works well, with a much bigger display than a cheap chartplotter.
The GPS thing is easily sorted, although it is possible to buy suitable cables to connect traditional GPS systems the easiest way by far is to buy a dedicated GPS for the computer. These look roughly like a computer mouse and connect via a usb port on the computer (or you can get a serial version for computers without a usb port).
The chartplotter software is configured to accept nmea gps information from the com port and all works well.
We have our 'gps' located in the 'void' above the nav station.
The software we use, and have done for many years, is FUGAWI www.fugawi.com
let us know if you need any more info
Graham & Gaye

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Jun 2, 2009 - 9:31PM

Thanks both we thought you might know. We've done a bit of research already and it's coming together. We are having a bit of a slow start with a few rigging problems but nothing that is stopping us getting out. We'll try to keep you posted. What are you plans this year?

Graham
Jun 2, 2009 - 9:37PM

Hi ,
We will be launching here in Rochefort on the 9th June and plan to be in Vannes by 14th July. After hat not sure but we expect to be back here before the end of September.
all the best,hope everything gets sorted.
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
Alan and Deb
Jun 4, 2009 - 5:12PM

Graham

have found several GPS mice but note that the advice is that the non marine (ie: cheaper) units do not automatically adjust for magnetic variation. What is your experience?

regards

Alan

Index