Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:17:02

twotails
Administrator

Insurance

Mark Cloutman
Dec 16, 2009 - 4:57PM
Insurance

I have just bought a Seadog 30 and look forward to joining the association - the members forum has been of great interest to me during the process of selection.
I am interested that there has not yet been a thread about insuring these boats - because their age makes it slightly problematic.
Does anyone out there have any recommendations for an insurer that is equiped to provide good cover?
I am especially interested in good claims experience - because that is the true test of insurance (with cars and houses anyway!)
Email 
Alan and Debbie
Dec 16, 2009 - 5:09PM
Re: Insurance

We insure through Simon Winter Marine www.simonwintermarine.co.uk - info@simonwintermarine.co.uk - 08449 886132. Premium is just less than £200 per year including dinghy, outboard etc. No experience of claims thankfully but had no problem with cover being accepted, we did have a survey though. Simon is a sailor himself and has always been very helpful.

Alan

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
Email 
Graham
Dec 16, 2009 - 5:15PM

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the select group of SeaDog owners. Actually we tend to think that we are just looking after Dougal for future generations!
Which one have you bought?
On the subject of insurance Dougal was insured through Navigators and General for many years, primarily because after the initial survey they did not ask for anything more. We made one small claim (for a toerail damaged whilst Dougal was alone on a swinging mooring and they paid out OK.
Premiums have been gradually increasing and this spring they took it a step too far (almost £400 I think).
A friend of one of our daughters works for a brokers and offered to quote on behalf of AXA.
We are now insured through the broker with AXA and all seems fine. We have not been in a 'claim' situation with them yet, but no reason to think there would be a problem.
Premium for 12 months was £267, cover seems to be at least as good as Navigators and General.
If you want a quote contact Louise at colemans www.colemaninsurance.co.uk/ and mention my name (or Dougal)
John Lansdell should be able to sort out your association membership (I expect you have already been in contact with him).
best regards
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
E Richardson
Dec 17, 2009 - 3:24PM

Hi Mark

When I had Taliesin I finished up insuring with Pantaenius and found them expensive, but I was well satisfied with their professional approach. I spend most of my time single handing and they have no objection to this. On a family outing I managed to do severe damage to the main mast, and they were more than helpfull as I had a fall out with the surveyor over his recomended method of repair and Pantaenious backed my decision. This meant a new mast. they allowed me to do all the deck and interior work myself and credited me with the cost of this as though the yard had done it. I could not praise them enough. I now have Easy Go insured with them, the premium is high but I am sticking with them.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
Mark
Dec 17, 2009 - 5:52PM

I have insured for the last 12 years, this boat and the last, through Nautical Insurance Services - a broker

http://www.nautical-insurance.co.uk/

Always found them very good. They used N&G for my last boat and moved me to Amlin when I bought Salia.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Salia
Email 
Graham
Dec 17, 2009 - 6:04PM

Forgot to mention, our broker did not insist on a recent survey and cover is UK plus European from Holland to Bordeaux. All the usual bits included too.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal

Board footer