Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:15:59

twotails
Administrator

Important Health Warning

John Lansdell
Oct 4, 2012 - 9:18PM
Important Health Warning!

This is a 40 year old health warning for all owners of SeaDogs!!!!

I have recently been in contact with a gentleman who was involved with the build and fitout of early Seadogs.

Our vertical sliding hatch arrangements, involving bungee rubber, were as unique then as they appear to be now. There was apparently considerable discussion about the tension they should be installed at during the build, until the event he told me of.

An upholsterer, he called him Paddy, needed to look into the aft cabin, and, rather than slide back the top hatch cover, chose to put his head through the gap under it. As he did so he knocked the closing flap up, the hatch shot up, and he lost a number of teeth! Thenceforth the bungees were installed with much less tension!

I have replaced our bungees, and after hearing this tale, I think I have made them too tight! So that is another job to do!

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
Eric Richardson
Oct 12, 2012 - 1:16PM
Re: Important Health Warning!

Hi John

Fair comment.

I do remember the first time I renewed the bungee and was a bit short on length so stretched it tight. The door almost leaped out of it's slot. Would definately have been a sex change job if only half way in.

Eric

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Ex Taliesin
sai
Oct 13, 2012 - 8:43AM
Re: Important Health Warning!

Hi John, and every one!

Recently I had the opportunity of reading some material (written in 1972) on some old British built boats duing the 60's and early 70's. This was an article that compared about 15 to 17 different boats including the Seadog. (This was an article that I happend to be given to read by Martyn Waitt - previous Seadog owner of Tarrry) They had a ralley of all these boats with judges mentioning what was good and not so good about each of the boats in the rally.

Judges did mention about this problem with the hatch door in the Seadog. They did say that it was a health and safety issue. Interesting that this point is now being picked up.

It would be nice to see all such articles that owners have in their possession to be scanned and placed in our Seadog database of information or archives.

Board footer