Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:02:06

twotails
Administrator

Gearbox Noise -2

Michael Grew
Feb 18, 2010 - 3:51PM
Gearbox noise

Help ! There has been a grinding noise coming from my gearbox which everyone seemed to think was caused by a worn or damaged drive plate. I have had a marine engineer take the drive plate out and he says the plate looks fine. A couple of the springs were loose but were not so loose to cause the noise. He is talking about trying to find a plastic drive plate that should run quieter. The noise is only heard when the engine is in idle mode with it in gear (both forward and reverse) but as soon as it is taken out of gear the noise stops. Once the engine runs at 1000rpm or above the noise stops. Any suggestions as to what could cause it?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Seascape
Email 
E Richardson
Feb 20, 2010 - 6:16PM
Re: Gearbox noise

Hi Michael

Sorry for the delay in responding to this, I still think that the drive plate could be part of the problem, A suitable replacement drive plate can be obtained from R & D Marine Ltd. The telephone number is 01462 892391. It is a fail safe device so should be ok for you.
The Perkins engine can be set to tick over as slowly as 600rpm. In my opinion it is best set to 750/800 rpm which enables the flywheel to smooth out the firing impulses and reduces damage to the drive plate.
Please let us all know the results of your work. Feel free to give me a ring if I can be of assistance.

Regards Eric

Board footer