Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 20:01:06

twotails
Administrator

Gearbox Noise

Ronnie Walker
Jul 13, 2012 - 10:17PM
Gearbox noise

Hi,folks,have just finished the overhaul of the 4107,test ran it at tick over for 30 minutes to make sure it did not overheat was ok but not so sure about the B.W.it makes a loud clacking sound at tick over but goes away when revved up,sure don't wan't to have to start work again it's just had a two coat paint job,if anyone has come across this before what is the solution?Thanks.Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Kushka
Email 
Phil
Jul 13, 2012 - 11:10PM
Re: Gearbox noise

Hi

Is the noise there when the BW is in gear or in nutral or both ?

Have you checked that the oil level is correct in the BW ?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
Ronnie Walker
Jul 13, 2012 - 11:36PM

Hi,Phil,it's making a noise in gear in ahead and astern,the levels ok,it's quite in neutral,but in gear when i rev it up it appears to be quite,it is only noisey in tick over.Ronnie.

Email 
John
Jul 14, 2012 - 7:24PM
Has Re: Gearbox noise

Hi, Ronnie.

If the gearbox has had no work carried out on it, then there should not be any noise from it.

Has the engine been re-aligned correctly, a coupling under strain could be noisy.

Another thought could be the drive plate between engine and gearbox. But you don't want it to be that, do you?

While I'm posting can anyone tell me the colour that the original deck and coach roofs gelcoat was, please. I'm in the process of gelcoat repair and painting but cannot find that pale blue/green original colour in any of the charts I've seen, so far.

Regards to all.

John

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Anahita II
Email 
Ronnie Walker
Jul 14, 2012 - 8:35PM

Hi,John,the engine is in my workshop,in gear and in ahead and astern at tick over it emits a loud clacking sound,if I rev up it disappears,the engine and gearbox are on blocks.Thanks for your help.Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Phil
Jul 14, 2012 - 9:00PM

Hi Ronnie

When we first took on Soyakaze the engine had not been run for 4 or 5 years. Whenever I engaged forward or revese we had a loud rumble noise which stopped after 5 mins or so, I was told that this was the drive plate. Before I pulled the engine I checked out all of the selector cable and lever bits and found that it was to stiff to go the full throw of the lever, I also found that the gearbox oil was dirty etc and flushed and changed the oil with standard auto gearbox oil.
The problem went away !

In short I would sugest that you check all alignments, mountings, oil etc before taking the big step of pulling the box off the engine.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze
Email 
John
Jul 14, 2012 - 9:31PM

Ronnie.

If the engine is on blocks in your workshop and no load is present when engaging gear, then it is possibly just the drive plate clacking away.

If the gearbox was connected to the prop, in water, then there would be a decent load and the springs in the drive plate would be under constant pressure and not bouncing about, as could be the case now.

Like I've said before, if the gearbox has not been touched there should be no problem with it.

If you're near Plymouth I could probably come and have a listen.

Regards

John

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Anahita II
Email 
Ronnie Walker
Jul 14, 2012 - 9:49PM

Hi Phil,strange that you say that the full throw of the lever was stiff,mine is very stiff had to use vice grips to shift it,i think it may be the drive plate as suggested hope so anyway thanks to all who kindly replied,all the best.Ronnie.

Email 
Eric Richardson
Aug 4, 2012 - 4:31PM

Hi Ronnie

Sorry to only just be replying, we have been in Holland. The rattle at low speed is almost certain to be the drive plate, a bit concerned about the stiff control lever though as that only operates as a valve to control the oil flow. Could it be some corrosion where it enters the gearbox?

Board footer