Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 19:59:38

twotails
Administrator

Gearbox Cable

ronald walker
Nov 6, 2012 - 9:59PM
gearbox cable

Hi folks,sorry to sound like a numpty but i have forgotten which side the gearbox control is positioned,have fitted replacement engine after a lengthy spell without one,had to fabricate new feet from photos as the engine did not come with front ones,the cables look very similar,had a bit of a struggle to get it lined up but ok now,just my brain is getting a bit dodgy on the memory front.Thanks.Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
Graham
Nov 6, 2012 - 10:47PM
Re: gearbox cable

Hi Ronnie,
Normal is to have the gearbox control on the port side and the throttle on the starboard side of the steering binnacle.
Don't feel too bad about it, when we bought Dougal in 1996 we removed the engine fuel tanks and completely renovated the engine compartment before we had ever sailed her, I had to take a guess which way round the controls should be and didn't know it was correct until I took her to the Yarmouth rally :-)
Graham

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Dougal
Email 
John Lansdell
Nov 7, 2012 - 9:41AM

Have you thought of using single lever control? When I installed a Beta 1505 I kept the B-W gearbox, but installed a Vetus single lever control on the starboard side of the wheel. This means I can keep one hand on the wheel at all times (especially when I'm panicking!).

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Email 
ronald walker
Nov 7, 2012 - 11:00AM

Hi Graham and John,thanks for your input,i think i will stick with the present system John to keep the costs down.All the best to both of you.Ronnie.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kushka
Email 
martin waterman
Nov 8, 2012 - 3:14PM

I have had Kittijay for 12 years and always thought that the gear lever on the right and throttle on the left was standard. I sailed with John on Michciko 11 once and took her into a lock and had to think very hard indeed as her controls are opposite to mine. Now it seems that mine is the odd one out!! But I don't think it really matters unless you keep sailing on other Seadogs.
Martin.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) kittijay
Phil
Nov 8, 2012 - 10:15PM

Hello all

Sorry to change the subject (a litttle)

We have the orriginal Morse levers (gear on the left) I think that the levers are the orriginals.

Both levers are badly pitted, chrome almost gone and they look 'orrible. Does anyone know a source of replacent levers ? I have searched the boat jumbles for a couple years and seen nothing suitable.

Regards - Phil

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Soyakaze

Board footer