Announcement

From the Webmaster: Please note this forum is an ARCHIVE ONLY; it is not in current use. Click here:Seadog.org.uk to return to the website.

#1 Fri 09th Jan 2015 18:37:53

twotails
Administrator

Fuel Tanks -2

Alan and Debbie
Jul 17, 2011 - 10:19AM
Fuel Tanks

We have the original steel fuel tanks on Star Dog. We are not having any particular problems but think that after 40 years they may need a bit of a clean. So this winter I was contemplating cutting an inspection hatch in the top of each tank. I think I can get in via the coaming hatch on the port side and by cutting an access hatch in the base of the pilot berth to get at the top of the starboard tank. I assume the tanks will be baffled so will need to carefully plan where to put the hatches if I proceed. Anyone done it, or know what the design of the tanks are?

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Star Dog
John Lansdell
Jul 28, 2011 - 7:15PM
Re: Fuel Tanks

Apologies for late response, we have been away for 3 weeks.

Twotails has GRP tanks, but I would assume position and shape of the baffles would be similar. Ours have two baffles, positioned at one third and two thirds of the longitudinal length of the tank. There are cutouts at top and bottom. We are also fortunate in that they both have drain cocks in the forward bottom corner, which I use regularly to check for water.

My impression, from comments I have heard, is that the major problem with the steel tanks is corrosion, particularly on the outboard face of the tank. This is very difficult to see unless the tank is out of the boat. If you had access to small CCTV setup with good lighting it may be possible to examine the area insitu. It would be interesting to know if anyone out there has done this.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Twotails
Eric Richardson
Jul 29, 2011 - 1:16PM

Hi Alan & Debbie

Hope you are both well. When I bought Taliesin the tanks were mild steel with baffles roughly as John describes. Both tanks were badly corroded from the inside on the tops. Caused by condensation forming when left part full. This is difficult to see with the tanks in situ.

Eric
Seamus McGloughlin
Aug 8, 2011 - 8:04PM

About 15 years ago we had the engine out for a major service and we replaced the tanks with Stainless Steel tanks. Pretty much copied the old tanks. Baffles and filler points as was on the old tanks but we fitted electronic fuel senders which we connected to a guage in the saloon.
The tanks were made by a guy who does stainless work for a medical equipment company. From memory the cost about £120 each without the guages.

Great job, but the engine has to come out.

SeaDog Name (if owner or crew) Cushag of Mann (Dun Laoghaire)

Board footer